The town of Carrieton was surveyed around ‘Yanyarrie Whim’ in the early 1870’s and in the initial stages was known as ‘Yanyarrie Whim’.
In 1878 the government proclaimed the new township Carrieton, named after Lucy Caroline Jervois, daughter of the Governor of South Australia, Sir William Francis Drummond Jervois.
Carrieton became an important business centre for the surrounding districts. In 1882 the opening of the Orroroo to Quorn railway saw Carrieton prosper as an integral part of the railway, servicing the north and south with grain, and copper from nearby Prince Alfred Mine.
In 1889, 10,000 tons of goods were handled at the Carrieton Station and delivered to markets. Many stone ruins across the district give evidence to the small and short-lived existence of farming around the area. Lack of rainfall and capital forced many to leave the area.